This past weekend, Windhoek was alive with competitive spirit as 39 schools, featuring 136 teams – 9 private and 30 government institutions – clashed in the Metropolitan Gravity School Sports Cup. Schools from all over Namibia united, exhibiting outstanding athleticism and camaraderie in Hockey, Netball, Rugby 7’s, and Soccer 6-A-Side.
Highlights of the Tournament:
- In Hockey, St. Paul’s led the pack for the girls across all age groups, while Private School Swakopmund and Windhoek High School took top honors for the boys.
- Ella Duplessis stood out in the U19 Netball, with Tsara Aibes, Pro Ed Academy, and Centaurus securing victories in other age categories.
- Rugby 7’s saw Pro Ed Academy, Roots Gymnasium, and Windhoek High School emerging victoriously in various divisions, and M.K Gertze demonstrating their prowess in the U19 bracket.
- For Soccer 6-A-Side, Suiderhof Primary championed the U13 group. Five Rand Camp claimed the victory with St. Paul’s finishing a commendable second in the U15 category, while Etosha Secondary and Otjioko clinched the top spots for U17 and U19 respectively.
- Cayden Moller from WHS U19 7’s Rugby Team has been awarded a full-year bursary to the SA All Star Rugby Academy. Initially set for the Dubai 7’s, this enhanced bursary now provides him with several international 7’s rugby tours with the Academy.
Denille Roostee, Group Marketing Executive of the Momentum Metropolitan Group, articulated, “This event mirrors Metropolitan’s philosophy – Together We Can. A heartfelt thanks to all players, school management, parents, and every participant for promoting inclusive sports development and uplifting school sports in Namibia.”
Mr. Valentines Kamenye, Principal of Shamangorwa Combined School, a recipient of Metropolitan’s generous support, noted, “This tournament has provided our students with a distinctive and invaluable opportunity. Without Metropolitan’s commitment, such an experience might have remained out of their reach. The event has deeply inspired and bolstered them for future challenges. To Metropolitan, our heartfelt gratitude for prioritising and including schools that had previously been sidelined from such prestigious events.”
For detailed results and more, be sure to check out the Metropolitan Gravity Cup’s social media channels.