Australia said on Thursday that its special forces were suspected of being responsible for 39 unlawful killings in Afghanistan, as it released a long-awaited report into alleged war crimes committed in the South Asian nation. Al Jazeera reports that detailing the findings, General Angus Campbell, Chief of the Defence Force, said the investigation found evidence that members of the Australian special forces had killed prisoners, farmers or other civilians, and offered his unreserved apologies to the people of Afghanistan for any wrongdoing. Some of those allegedly responsible are still serving in the military while others have left the armed services and a special investigator who was appointed last week will now determine whether there is sufficient evidence to move ahead with prosecutions.